Wednesday, January 28, 2009

DAY 70; FLY-TENTIN'

For the first time since the trip has begun, I'm actually staying at a designated camp-site. Generally its a case of "fly-tenting" wherever takes my fancy. That is, illegally camping wherever I like. So far, I've fly-tented by beaches,rivers,streams,lakes,canals. I've camped on hill-tops,cliff-tops,the bottom of a valley, and all makes and sizes of ditches. Home for a night has included the grounds of schools,libraries,football fields, and everything from a car park to a national park. And it doesn't care whether you fly-tent it or whether you pay for it,everywhere seems to have a dog in the distance barking. About 2 hours before finding this campsite,I stumbled upon a 2000 year cave system that the Romans used as tombs. I was very close to camping in it (and wish I did, rather than be staying at this designated campsite),but I decided to push on while there was still daylight. This morning,I was fixing a puncture in the rain on a motorway,when a priest pulled up,chatted for a few minutes and then invited me back to his home that evening for food and lodging.(it was way to early in the day to be sorting out the nights bed and I was keen to get as near to Rome as possible so I thanked him but declined). I must admit,I enjoy my fly-tentin. I never know where I'm going to be sleeping the next night. Although,considering I'm only 35kms from Rome,I'm pretty sure where I'll be tomorrow.(I'm just not sure whether it will be by city park,by hostel or by invitation to the Vatican)

No comments: