Wednesday, January 7, 2009

DAY 49







Anyday that begins with 4 pain au chlocalots from the local bakery and a bike ride around an amphitheatre was shaping up to be a good day. After this I made my north into the hills towards the town of Uzes.This fine town was like stepping back into roman times. I brewed up a coffee and had a bit of lunch next to a Cathedral with an adjoining bell tower which was a bit similar to a more upright version of the leaning tower of Pisa. I continued east and it was about 2pm when I arrived at the highpoint of the day.If there were just 2 things I came to France to see,they would be the Mont St.Michel(Day 18) and todays highpoint,the Pont Du Gard. This Unesco world heritage site is an aqueduct made up of some 35 arches and running 50metres above the river Gard.It was built in the time of Jesus to supply water to the city of Nimes(where I stayed the previous night). This place gets over a million tourists a year but today I practically had it to myself.I biked another 20 or so kms and am presently camped up by a river near Avignon. In this part of the world, they have old Roman structures like Ireland has pubs. Thats to say,every town has a few and they are always a welcome sight.

No comments: