Wednesday, April 21, 2010










A journey that consisted of a continual stream of smiles and waves and cheers of encouragement. I've slept in everything from building sites to UNESCO world heritage sites. I've slept in peoples' back gardens, industrial estates, under a tree in front of a police station, bus stops, under motorway bridges, 4 star golf resorts etc etc. (I actually meant to sleep in a graveyard at some stage, but never got around to it. Ah well, there will be plenty of time for that later.) There were so many evenings spent watching the sunset or staring up at the stars. And then being woken up by the call of Prayer throughout Turkey to being woken up by the howl of the coyote throughout the North American deserts. I seem to automatically wake after sunrise and I never get tired of pedalling my bicycle. I've been chased by big dogs in England and very excited locals in Iran. In one village I was stoned by the school kids. In another I was directed to fields full of wild marijana. I've had lunch with heroin addicts and got drunk with police chiefs. I regret that I never made it into Iraq or Afghanistan. I just don't believe our media. When they are not publicising the irreverent antics of some 'celebrity', their main international topic of debate that they like to repeat over and over again is; 'The world is a dangerous place. Stay inside your bubble'. NEWSFLASH; Afghans love being photographed and when you enter Iraq from Turkey, there is a huge sign at the border saying "WELCOME TO IRAQ" in an attempt to develop the seeds of tourism. I hope to visit both these countries within the next 2 or 3 years. I've learnt that no matter where you go in this world, dogs pee on car wheels, moths fly towards the light and we live in a world full of good people. (Well, apart from Chinese police. Using brain washing and other aggressive methods of training, these people are transformed into pure evil robotic figures of authority. Only a very small percentage of these portrayed any vague human-like qualities.)

No comments: